Tibet Border Pass
- by Morgan
- Last Updated: 2021-09-02
Tibet Border Pass (Frontier Pass) is an official permit for those who want to travel to remote destinations located in border areas between Tibet and other countries, like Mount Everest, Zhangmu, Yadong, Mount Kailash, Manasarovar Lake, etc. Without this pass, travelers from both home and abroad can not be allowed to travel to these destination. However, this pass can not be applied by travelers individually, so tourists should obtain the Tibet Border Pass from the Tibet Armed Police Border Corps in Lhasa with the help of a local Tibet travel agency.
How to obtain the Tibet Border Pass?
Whether you are Chinese or foreign travelers,you should apply for the Tibet Border Pass when you travel to border areas.
- Foreign Travelers:
- Foreign travelers can not be allowed to travel alone in Tibet, so you should join in a group tour of Great Tibet Tour to make an itinerary;
- We confirm your plan and receive the deposit of your tour;
- Send us the copies of your passport and Chinese Visa, and then we will apply for the Tibet Travel Permit for you first;
- When obtaining the Tibet Travel Permit, we will use it to apply for Tibet Border Pass;
- Chinese Travelers:
As for the mainland Chinese citizens, Hong Kong citizens and Macau citizens, they also need the Tibet Border Pass to travel to the border areas. Mainland Chinese citizens can apply for the Tibet Border Pass in your registered residence city/town. Hong Kong and Macau citizens can apply for Tibet Border Pass from Tibet Armed Police Border Corps in Lhasa with your original H.K./Macao Home-Return Permit.
If you enter Tibet via Nepal, you also need the Tibet Border Pass. And if you leave Tibet for Nepal, you also need this pass. If you take flights to Ngari Gunsa Airport departing from some cities like Lhasa, Urumqi or Kashgar, the border pass is also required.
Which areas require Frontier Pass?
- Shigatse: Sakya Monastery, Mt. Everest Base Camp, Rongbuk Monastery, etc.
- Ngari Prefecture: Mt. Kailash, Mansarovar Lake, etc.
- Nyingchi Prefecture: Basumtso Lake, Pomi, Rawotso Lake, etc.
- China-Nepal Border: Gyirong
- Shannan Prefecture: Yadong Border
- If you want to enter Tibet from Kathmandu, we will send the copy of the Tibet Border Pass to your hotel in Kathmandu; If you travel to Tibet from Kashgar or Urumqi via Ngari, we send the border pass to your hotel in Urumqi or Kashgar; If you get to Lhasa from other major cities in China, we will keep the pass for you.
- As for foreign travelers, they need the Alien’s Travel Permit to visit some sensitive border areas, like Shigatse, Nyingchi, Ngari, etc., as well as Tibet Travel Permit and Tibet Border Pass. Unlike other permits, the Alien’s Travel Permit is applied after your arrival in Tibet. This permit is issued by the Public Security Bureau and can be easily applied in Lhasa, Shigatse, Nyingchi or other prefectures.
- If you want to ascend to any places higher than the Everest Base Camp, like Advanced Base Camp, Rongbuk Glacier, etc., you will be required to apply for the Mountaineering License which is issued by the Tibet Mountaineering Association. And you also need to hire a professional climbing coordinator in your hike.
Tibet Travel Permit(Tibet Visa)
Tibet Travel Permit/Tibet Visa is a mandatory entry document to Tibet. To obtain it, you need to entrust a Tibet travel agency to apply it for you.
Tourists can get a Nepal visa on arrival when reaching Kathmandu airport or road borders at Birganj, Sunauli, etc. $30 for a 15-day entry Nepal tourist visa.
Why Not Mention Tibet During Your China Visa Applying
When you go to Tibet, your experienced tour consultants would advise you not to mention Tibet during your China Visa application. But why it is so? What about the documents for visiting Tibet? Check more for detailed info.
Tibet Visa for Indian
For Indians, if you travel to Tibet except for Ngari, you will get a Tibet visa like other international travelers. If you plan to visit Ngari, you will be considered a pilgrim. If you have a passport from the US or other countries, you will be treated as a normal tourist even if you go to Ngari.
Permit without Tour
Some of tourists want to obtain Tibet Permits without tour while according to the regulations, it is impossible for us to help with Tibet Travel Permits for independent travelers anymore.
Tibet Tourism Bureau
Tibet Travel Permit, which also known as “Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit” or “Tibet Entry Permit”, is the indispensable permit for international travelers to travel to Tibet.
The tourist Military Permit is one of the document issued by Military office in Lhasa. It's an additional permit besides your Tibet Travel Permit. If you are going to Ngari for visiting Mt. Kailash or Lake Mansarovar, you need to apply your Military Permit one month before your departure.
Alien's Travel Permit
Alien's Travel Permit, also being called as PSB, is required if foreigner travelers wish to visit the territories outside Lhasa, such as Shigatse, Shannan, Nyingchi, etc.
Your Chinese Visa is required to obtain Tibet Permit if you plan to get to Tibet from mainland China. How to smoothly apply for Chinese Visa in your country? Check the details and find the answers.
Bhutan Visa is the most important entry permit for traveling to Bhutan. For US and Canadian citizens, getting a visa is a very easy procedure by booking a Bhutan tour. For Indian citizens, you just need to apply for a permit for free.
Email response within 0.5~24 hours.