Great Tibet Tour Logo GREAT TIBET TOUR ®

Tibet Border Pass

  • by Morgan
  • Last Updated: 2023-06-24
Example of a Tibet border pass.

Tibet Border Pass (Frontier Pass) is an official permit for those who want to travel to remote destinations located in border areas between Tibet and other countries, like Mount Everest, Zhangmu, Yadong, Mount Kailash, Manasarovar Lake, etc. Without this pass, travelers from both home and abroad can not be allowed to travel to these destination. However, this pass can not be applied by travelers individually, so tourists should obtain the Tibet Border Pass from the Tibet Armed Police Border Corps in Lhasa with the help of a local Tibet travel agency.

How to Obtain the Tibet Border Pass?

Whether you are Chinese or foreign traveler, you should apply for the Tibet Border Pass when you travel to border areas.

Foreign Travelers

  1. Foreign travelers can not be allowed to travel alone in Tibet, so you should join a group tour of Great Tibet Tour to make an itinerary;
  2. We confirm your plan and receive the deposit for your tour;
  3. Send us copies of your passport and Chinese Visa, and then we will apply for the Tibet Travel Permit for you first;
  4. When obtaining the Tibet Travel Permit, we will use it to apply for Tibet Border Pass;

Chinese Travelers

As for mainland Chinese citizens, Hong Kong citizens and Macau citizens, they also need the Tibet Border Pass to travel to the border areas. Mainland Chinese citizens can apply for the Tibet Border Pass in their registered residence city/town. Hong Kong and Macau citizens can apply for Tibet Border Pass from Tibet Armed Police Border Corps in Lhasa with their original H.K./Macao Home-Return Permit.

If you enter Tibet via Nepal, you also need the Tibet Border Pass. And if you leave Tibet for Nepal, you also need this pass. If you take flights to Ngari Gunsa Airport departing from some cities like Lhasa, Urumqi or Kashgar, a border pass is also required.

Which areas require Frontier Pass?

  • Shigatse: Sakya Monastery, Mt. Everest Base Camp, Rongbuk Monastery, etc. 
  • Ngari Prefecture: Mt. Kailash, Mansarovar Lake, etc.
  • Nyingchi Prefecture: Basumtso Lake, Pomi, Rawotso Lake, etc. 
  • China-Nepal Border: Gyirong
  • Shannan Prefecture: Yadong Border


  1. If you want to enter Tibet from Kathmandu, we will send a copy of the Tibet Border Pass to your hotel in Kathmandu; If you travel to Tibet from Kashgar or Urumqi via Ngari, we send the border pass to your hotel in Urumqi or Kashgar; If you get to Lhasa from other major cities in China, we will keep the pass for you.
  2. For foreign travelers, they need the Alien’s Travel Permit to visit some sensitive border areas, like Shigatse, Nyingchi, Ngari, etc., as well as Tibet Travel Permit and Tibet Border Pass. Unlike other permits, the Alien’s Travel Permit is applied after your arrival in Tibet. This permit is issued by the Public Security Bureau and can be easily applied in Lhasa, Shigatse, Nyingchi or other prefectures.
  3. If you want to ascend to any places higher than the Everest Base Camp, like Advanced Base Camp, Rongbuk Glacier, etc., you will be required to apply for the Mountaineering License which is issued by the Tibet Mountaineering Association. And you also need to hire a professional climbing coordinator in your hike.

Related Articles

  • Tibet Visa for Indian
    For Indian citizens or passport holders, the first thing to travel to Tibet is to obtain Tibet Visa, which is not as difficult as you imagine to obtain.

  • China Visa
    A China Visa is required if you are entering China. How do you smoothly apply for a Chinese Visa in your country? Check the details and find the answers.

  • Why Not Mention Tibet During Your China Visa Applying
    When going to Tibet, you would be advised you not to mention Tibet during your China Visa application. But why it is so? Check more for detailed info.

  • China Group Visa(Tibet Group Visa)
    To enter Tibet from Nepal, you need a China Group visa from the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu with your passport, an invitation letter and one headshot.

  • Tibet Travel Permit(Tibet Visa)
    Tibet Travel Permit/Tibet Visa is a mandatory entry document to Tibet. To obtain it, you need to entrust a Tibet travel agency to apply it for you.

  • Bhutan Visa
    For US and Canadian citizens, getting a Bhutan visa is an easy procedure by booking a tour prior. For Indian citizens, you can apply for a permit on your own.

  • Permit Without Tour
    Obtaining Tibet Travel Permits without a tour is no longer possible for independent travelers according to the regulations.

  • Alien's Travel Permit
    Alien's Travel Permit is required if foreign travelers wish to visit the territories outside Lhasa, such as Shigatse, Shannan, Ngari, Nyingchi, etc.

  • Nepal Visa
    Tourists can get a Nepal visa on arrival when reaching Kathmandu airport or road borders at Birganj, Sunauli, etc. $30 for a 15-day entry Nepal tourist visa.

  • Tibet Tourism Bureau
    Tibet Travel Permit, also known as the “Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit”, is an indispensable permit for international travelers to travel to Tibet.

Ask a Quick Question Below?
or Email Us

Typically Asked Questions from Our Clients

Asked by Kath***

I am hoping to travel to Tibet including the Everest base camp mid July. I am a HK citizen with both a hk passport and Macao/HK home return permit. Aside from these two documents is that anything else that I require to apply for a border pass to the Everest base camp and where can I apply for this border pass. Thank you

Answered by Merry

Dear Kath***, 

I'm afraid we don't afford a service for the Tibet Border Pass application to the Everest base camp. But you can join a group with us.

I recommend 8 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp group tour for you. For this group tour, we have confirmed departure dates starting on 1 July/31 July. Are you joining?