Xining Lhasa Train Tour
- 6 Days
- Tour Type:
- Private Tour
|Day||Route||Attractions & Activities|
|1||Xining-Lhasa Train||Get on the train in Xining West Railway Station|
|2||Arrival in Lhasa (3650m)||Pick up and transfer to the hotel|
|3||Lhasa City||Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street|
|4||Lhasa sightseeing||Drak Yerpa, Sera monastery|
|5||Lhasa Suburb||Drepung Monastery, Norbulingka, Local Tibetan Family Visit|
|6||Depart from Lhasa||Send off to the airport/railway station|
To arrive at the train station about 2hrs in advance is suggested. Exchange eTicket to an actual paper ticket at the ticket booth by showing them your e-ticket, a copy of your Tibet Travel Permit, and your original passport. Trains are departing from Xining to Lhasa every day, about 22hrs covering a distance of 1960km.
You will spend the rest of the day on the train and enjoy the fabulous scenery along the highest railway in the world - Qinghai Tibet Railway. You will see the gorgeous natural scenery of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau such as nomadic pasture, sapphire lakes, flocks of goats and yaks, snow-capped mountains, etc.
Stay overnight in the train
- Qinghai Tibet Railway
Welcome to Lhasa! Our local Tibetan guide and driver will wait for you at Lhasa Railway Station by holding your name sign. You will be greeted with a warm Tashidelek (meaning hello with blessing), and be presented with a white Hada (traditional Tibetan ceremonial). Then transfer you to the hotel in Lhasa city. On the way, you can enjoy the stunning views of the Yarlung Tsangpo River. After checking in your hotel, you will be free for the rest of the day to have a good rest and acclimatize to the high altitude at the top of the world. If you physically feel good, you can visit the Potala Palace Square, have a far view of the Yaowang Mountain, and take a panoramic view of the Potala Palace. Remember to drink lots of water, eat lighter and have high carbohydrate food, which will be helpful for you to adapt to the high altitude better.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
In the morning your guide will meet you in the hotel lobby and first take you to visit the famous Potala Palace, the cardinal landmark of Tibet and the masterpiece of Tibetan architecture. It was first built by 33rd King - Songtsen Gangpo in the 7th century and rebuilt later by the 5th Dalai Lama in the 17th century. Now it is a museum and world heritage site.
In the afternoon, we will go to visit Jokhang Temple in the center of the Lhasa old town. Jokhang Temple is one of the most sacred temples all over Tibet and it is always bustling with earnest local pilgrims since the early days. After that, you will take a walk around the Barkhor Street which is one of the most devotional circuits as well as a crowded central market of Lhasa. Barkhor Street is a very ancient round street surrounding the Jokhang Temple and the locals are always proud of it. As a symbol of Lhasa, it is also a must-see place for visitors.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
In the morning, you are heading to Drak Yerpa, a place maybe not that famous but with its advantage. It consists of a monastery and several ancient meditation caves. Some arrow holes on the cliffs are believed to prove that the legendary hero Ling Gesar had visited this valley.
In the afternoon, you will pay a visit to Sera Monastery, which is one of the "great three" Gelug monasteries of Tibet. Monks debate from 3pm to 5pm. It's exciting, even if you don't understand what they are talking about at all. If the debate is not your type, you can also see the three sand Mandalas and colorful Rock Painting of Buddha inside the monastery. Besides, the sight in the Sera monastery is splendid because you can see roses around. That's why people also call it "the court of wild rose."
Stay overnight in Lhasa
After breakfast in the hotel, you will be taken to visit Drepung Monastery which is the world's largest monastery that housed over 10,000 monks. Before the expansion of the Potala Palace, Drepung Monastery was the residence of successive Dalai Lamas. After that, we will go to visit Norbulingka, Norbulingka park is considered the premier park of all such horticultural parks in similar ethnic settings in Tibet. During the summer and autumn months, the parks in Tibet including the Norbulingka, become hubs of entertainment with dancing, singing, music and festivities. The park is where the annual Sho Dun or 'Yoghurt Festival' is held.
Afternoon, we will show you the local Tibetan family life which is one of the most interesting attractions during your trip to Tibet, the local Tibetan people will welcome you to their houses, greet you in their traditional way and entertain you with their typical butter tea. Through this way, you will experience the real Tibetan culture, explore the Tibet civilization and discover the beautiful landscape of Tibet with your families or friends.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
- Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit (TTB) and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance tickets fee for tourist attractions listed in the itinerary;
- Experienced local English-speaking tour guide;
- Travel-licensed vehicle according to group size & season as itinerary needed including gas and parking fee;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel, or guesthouse. Please tell us your preference;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Pick-up & Drop-off service from Airport/railway station;
- Travel Agency Liability insurance;
- Government tax;
- Express delivery fee of Permit (eg. SF. Express);
- Food & lodgings for guide & driver;
- Oxygen tank for emergency use;
- Free use of sleeping bag;
- Two bottles of mineral water per person per day.
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese Visa/China Group Visa; (Note: we could help you by providing the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies for your Chinese Visa or the invitation letter for your China Group Visa)
- Domestic flight/train to and out of Lhasa; (We can help you book the domestic flight/train ticket at the BEST price. Please contact us for details.)
- Meals are not included but we will recommend some good ones for you according to your requirements. Usually, it takes 3-10 USD per person for each meal.
- While Gratuities for guide and driver is NOT mandatory, it is expected. Based on their service, you can tip them on the last day of the tour. Each of you is suggested to tip them 5-10 USD/day in total;
- All the commission and tax charged by PayPal, Bank, and government when making payment. (e.g. PayPal --- 4.2%. Wire transfer --- 2%);
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks, optional tour activities, etc.
- Anything not mentioned in the Inclusions.
My TIBET experience with Great Tibet Tour was very brilliant. It was the 2nd-time visit to TIBET but Shigatse and Gyantse. The hotel you chose me at Shigatse had very Lovely Tibetan decoration. and Guides ( both 2 guys) were very kind and gentle. So I could relax. ....Read more testimonials...