Shigatse climate and weather
- by Beatrice
- Last Updated: 2020-03-16
Shigatse is located in the south of Tibet, the confluence of the Yarlung Zangbo River and Nyangqu River. It borders with Nepal and Bhutan. With a history of about 500 years, Shigatse once was the Religious and political center of Tsang. As the second-largest city in Tibet, Shigatse is the place where all the Panchen Lamas live for a long time. With an average elevation of more than 4,000 meters, Shigatse is called “the most beautiful and ideal manor ” for its charming natural views and unique lifestyles.
Shigatse is called “the most beautiful and ideal manor ” for its charming natural views and unique lifestyles.
The agriculture in Shigatse is very developed due to sufficient water resources and abundant sunshine in this area. Shigatse is one of the most attractive tourist destinations in Tibet for its advantageous location, magnificent natural landscapes, and ancient cultures.
Shigatse has a temperate and semi-arid climate. It’s cool and cold on most days of a year. The climate of this highland could be divided into two parts. One is from November to the next April and the other is from May to October. The average temperature of the coldest months there is between 2 ℃ (35.6 ℉) and 12 ℃ (53.6 ℉ ), while in the warmest months the average temperature is from 10 ℃ (50 ℉) to 18 ℃ (64.4 ℉). The climate of Shigatse has the following characteristics:
1. As a result of the thin air there, the barometric pressure and the oxygen content is a bit low in most places of Shigatse.
2. The annual sunshine duration is so long and the time could reach as many as 3,300 hours. The solar radiation especially the ultraviolet ray on this area is relatively strong.
3. The temperature is lower than some warm place in Tibet and it varies greatly between day and night. The average annual temperature in the western area of Shigatse is about 0 ℃ (32 ℉), while in the east it can reach 6.5 ℃ (43.7 ℉).
4. The precipitation there varies greatly in the dry season and rainy season. From October to next April, the climate is dry and windy. The amount of precipitation is less than ten percent of the amount in a total year. When the rainy season comes in May, the weather becomes warm and wet. The rainfall reaches the highest point in June and August and it usually comes in the night during that period.
5. The frost-free season is more than 120 days in Shigatse and there is no much snow in winter.
Chart of Shigatse climate and weather
The climate in every season
When spring comes, the temperature will rise and the snow will melt away slowly. However, there is still a great difference in the temperature between day and night. You can wear a coat at noon while at night you need to wear on your down jacket.
The temperature could reach more than 30 ℃ (86 ℉ ) during the day time in summer. But due to the geographical advantages, the people there may not feel hot. However, you may need to put on your heavy clothes when night falls.
Autumn is the wettest season in Shigatse. If you want to come there in this season, you are suggested to bring your waterproof clothing.
To the surprise of many tourists, the winter in Shigatse is not so cold as your imagination. You can enjoy the beautiful views of those famous attractions in snow and find the purest and the most peaceful Shigatse in this period.
Traveling in Shigatse in Winter is not cold due to the strong sunshine.
Email response within 0.5~24 hours.