Shigatse Climate and Weather
- by Beatrice
- Last Updated: 2023-01-14
Shigatse weather forecast
Shigatse is located in the south of Tibet, the confluence of the Yarlung Zangbo River and Nyangqu River. It borders Nepal and Bhutan. With a history of about 500 years, Shigatse once was the Religious and political center of Tsang. As the second-largest city in Tibet, Shigatse is the place where all the Panchen Lamas live for a long time. With an average elevation of more than 4,000 meters, Shigatse is called “the most beautiful and ideal manor ” for its charming natural views and unique lifestyles.
The agriculture in Shigatse is very developed due to sufficient water resources and abundant sunshine in this area. Shigatse is one of the most attractive tourist destinations in Tibet for its advantageous location, magnificent natural landscapes, and ancient cultures.
Shigatse has a temperate and semi-arid climate. It’s cool and cold on most days of the year. The climate of this highland could be divided into two parts. One is from November to the next April and the other is from May to October. The average temperature of the coldest months there is between 2 ℃ (35.6 ℉) and 12 ℃ (53.6 ℉ ), while in the warmest months the average temperature is from 10 ℃ (50 ℉) to 18 ℃ (64.4 ℉).
Characteristics of Shigatse Climate:
There are roughly three regional climates in Shigatse. The area to the north of the Himalayas and to the south of Gangdise-Nyainqen Tanglha Mountains belongs to the plateau temperate and semi-arid monsoon climate; a small part of the area to the north of Gangdise-Nyainqen Tanglha Mountains belongs to the plateau sub-frigid, monsoon semi-arid and arid climate; the area of the main ridgeline of the Himalayas belongs to plateau temperate monsoon semi-humid climate. The general climate features are:
- As a result of the thin air there, the barometric pressure and the oxygen content are a bit low in most places of Shigatse.
- The annual sunshine duration is so long and the time could reach as many as 3,300 hours. The solar radiation especially the ultraviolet ray in this area is relatively strong.
- The temperature is lower than in some warm places in Tibet and it varies greatly between day and night. The average annual temperature in the western area of Shigatse is about 0 ℃ (32 ℉), while in the east it can reach 6.5 ℃ (43.7 ℉).
- The precipitation there varies greatly in the dry season and rainy seasons. From October to next April, the climate is dry and windy. The amount of precipitation is less than ten percent of the amount in a total year. From May to September, the climate is mild, the air is humid, and the precipitation accounts for more than 90% of the annual precipitation, which is the rainy season. At this time, there are many nights of rain, thunderstorms and hail, and night rainfall accounts for more than 70-80% of the total precipitation.
- The frost-free season is more than 120 days in Shigatse and there is not much snow in winter. The snow area is concentrated in the Yadong Pari-Nyalam-South Tingri.
- The southern slope of the Himalayas including Yadong, Zhangmu, Gyirong, Chentang and Rongxia are warm all year round, with abundant rainfall, with an annual rainfall of about 1000mm, and the average temperature of the warmest day at 18-22℃, which has the characteristics of alpine subtropical climate.
The Climate Every Season
When spring comes, the temperature will rise and the snow will melt away slowly. However, there is still a great difference in the temperature between day and night. You can wear a coat at noon while at night you need to wear your down jacket.
The temperature could reach more than 30 ℃ (86 ℉ ) during the daytime in summer. But due to the geographical advantages, the people there may not feel hot. However, you may need to put on your heavy clothes when night falls.
Autumn is the wettest season in Shigatse. If you want to come there this season, you are suggested to bring your waterproof clothing.
To the surprise of many tourists, the winter in Shigatse is not as cold as your imagination. You can enjoy the beautiful views of those famous attractions in the snow and find the purest and the most peaceful Shigatse in this period.
How to Get to Shigatse?
Shigatse is a popular tourist destination in Tibet. This is a transportation guidebook about how to get to/ from Shigatse, and how to travel around it.
Shigatse is the second-largest city in Tibet. Check the detailed Shigatse travel maps and find tourist attractions, travel routes, nearby counties, etc.
How Experienced Travelers Visit Shigatse?
Pilgrimage to Tashilhunpo Monastery, admire Mount Everest, trek in the Grand Himalayas, etc. This is Shigatse, there are too many places of interest.
Email response within 0.5~24 hours.