Lhoka(Shannan) area is located in the south of the Gangdise Mountains and the Nianqing Tanggula Mountains. It borders Lhasa to the north, Shigatse to the west, Nyingchi to the east, and India and Bhutan on the south. Lhoka is one of the cradles of ancient Tibetan civilization. It is the region with the deepest historical and cultural origin and the most developed agricultural civilization in Tibet. There are no fancy buildings here, no bustling cities. But the stunning scenery here will never disappoint visitors. It has the first palace, the first Tibetan King, the first farmland, the first village in Tibetan history. And Lhoka is also a paradise for religious people.
The humanity landscape and the natural landscape gather here. Walking into Lhoka, you can enjoy majestic glaciers, sacred mountains, holy lakes, rivers, ancient temples, monuments, and other landscapes. Take a glance of the most famous attractions:
- Samye Monastery
- It often called "the first temple in Tibet" and was built around the middle of the 8th century.
- Yungbulagang Palace
- It was the first palace in Tibet's history, dating back more than 2,100 years.
- Lhamo Latso
- This lake has magic power in Tibetan Buddhism. And Tibetan Buddhists believe that they can see their past lives and present lives from this lake.
- Phuma Yumtso
- It is a saltwater lake in the Himalayas with the stunning scenery. It is said that it was blessed by Padmasambhava and had a divine aura.
- Chimpuk Hermitage
- Located 15km northeast of Samye Monastery, it is a sacred place in the hearts of many Tibetans.
Recommended Tour Itineraries in Lhoka Prefecture
This trekking tour will offer you a unique journey from Ganden to Samye. After an exploration in Lhasa city and suburb, the trekking will start in Ganden. During the following 4 days, you will enjoy the scenery of valleys, mountains, and lakes. You will finally arrive in Samye and have a view of the golden spires of Samye.