Lhoka(Shannan) area is located in the south of the Gangdise Mountains and the Nianqing Tanggula Mountains. It borders Lhasa to the north, Shigatse to the west, Nyingchi to the east, and India and Bhutan to the south. Lhoka is one of the cradles of ancient Tibetan civilization. It is the region with the deepest historical and cultural origin and the most developed agricultural civilization in Tibet. There are no fancy buildings here, no bustling cities. But the stunning scenery here will never disappoint visitors. It has the first palace, the first Tibetan King, the first farmland, the first village in Tibetan history. And Lhoka is also a paradise for religious people.
The humanity landscape and the natural landscape gather here. Walking into Lhoka, you can enjoy majestic glaciers, sacred mountains, holy lakes, rivers, ancient temples, monuments, and other landscapes. Take a glance at the most famous attractions:
- Samye Monastery
- It's often called "the first temple in Tibet" and was built around the middle of the 8th century.
- Yungbulagang Palace
- It was the first palace in Tibet's history, dating back more than 2,100 years.
- Lhamo Latso
- This lake has magic power in Tibetan Buddhism. And Tibetan Buddhists believe that they can see their past lives and present lives from this lake.
- Phuma Yumtso
- It is a saltwater lake in the Himalayas with stunning scenery. It is said that it was blessed by Padmasambhava and had a divine aura.
- Chimpuk Hermitage
- Located 15km northeast of Samye Monastery, it is a sacred place in the hearts of many Tibetans.
Recommended Tour Itineraries in Lhoka Prefecture
The tour will take you to some great cities in Tibet and show you the dreamy natural views and the origin of Tibetan Buddhism. After a 4-day visiting in Lhasa, you will head to the east and discover the symbols of the Tibet culture then enjoy the two of top three holy lakes.
This journey starts from exploring Lhasa city, then drive to Namtso for a ‘Heavenly Lake’ experience. On the way, you will enjoy the vast grassland and charming natural scenery. The last station is to head to Tsedang for discovering the "cradle of Tibetan civilization" and Samye Monastery, the first monastery in Tibet.
Email response within 0.5~24 hours.