- by Cherry
- Last Updated: 2019-05-13
Most travelers like to make a well preparation before they go on a Tibet journey, such as checking the average temperature of that month, altitude sickness and correspodent solutions, carefully packing list, etc. In this post, we will assist you with a complete packing list for your Tibet tour.
a. Most Important Ones
The passport with all necessary visas and Tibet travel permits.
Most hotels in Tibet have no central heating. The air-conditioners in single rooms do not work well in the cold night. In winter, from November to next March, of course, you need to bring down jackets, warm sweaters, gloves, warm pants, woolen hats. It is very cold in the morning and evening. In summer, wearing a T-shirt in day time but the Jacket is necessary at the hotel in the morning and evening.
Other essentials to pack include four or five pairs of cotton or woolen underwear, four or five pairs of woolen socks, long sleeve cotton or lightweight wool shirts and T-shirts. Women should avoid skirts or dresses.
Also, whenever you visit Tibet, if your plan includes overnight at Everest Base Camp or Namtso Lake, or a several days outdoor trek in the mountain area, to keep warm is very important. The winter clothes are a must.
It is very important to have a strong comfortable pair of boots, especially your travel covers the remote area and you have to walk for a long distance.
A large backpack, a smaller one, plus a waist bag make it perfect. The smaller one can be used for daily activities and can also be put into the big one when necessary. The waist bag is to taking some small and important things with you. Please do not take any big suitcase with you, as a wise traveler knows, the outdoor backpack is the best bag for travel because you can move more freely.
e. Daily articles
Hotels in some areas are very simple, without towels, soap, etc. You need to bring your own items such as a cup, a small towel, a toothbrush, toothpaste, and slippers. Or you take some disposable items in the better hotel you stay in Lhasa. It is not convenient to wash clothes when traveling in remote places, you can buy some disposable underpants.
f. Skin care products
Wind and solar radiation are quite strong in Tibet. The skin care products are quite necessary, such as lip balms, sunblock, and skin creams，sunglasses.
Remember to bring some cash in different denominations and prepare enough cash for the days you are out of Lhasa since ATMs are few in the more remote areas.
h. sleeping bag
When sleeping in BEC tent camp, a sleeping bag is a good way to keep your personal sanitary.
Prevent Altitude Sickness?
* To prevent the occurrence of altitude sickness, visitors should have a proper rest and avoid strenuous activities days before you go to Tibet. After getting off the plane, you should try not to carry heavy things or run and avoid outdoor activities.
* Nifedipine, Nuodikang Capsules and Suoluomabao Capsules (known as Hongjingtian Capsules in Chinese) may help some people prevent the occurrence of altitude sickness when they are taken three days before arrival to a highland. Note: Acetazolamide (Diamox) is a drug used to stimulate breathing and reduce mild symptoms of mountain sickness. This drug can cause increased urination, so when taking this medication, make sure you drink plenty of fluids and do not drink alcohol; if you don’t drink enough water, it may result in serious dehydration, which can worsen AMS.
* Insist on High Carbohydrate Diet--Carbohydrate can provide heat quickly increasing the amount of the exchange of oxygen; while too much fat and animal protein shall aggravate high altitude sickness.
* Smoking shall not only consume the oxygen in the air, but also the carbon monoxide generated by the cigarette shall be absorbed by the hemoglobin. Smoking shall obviously aggravate high altitude sickness.
* Visitors with a severe cold, a high fever, acute or chronic pulmonary diseases, severe cardiovascular diseases, women with an advanced pregnancy and children under three years of age should avoid traveling to regions with a high altitude.
*Drink plenty of water/fluids. As the air humidity at Tibetan plateau is very low, it's easy to get dehydrated during traveling in Tibet. One to five liters a day is recommended to maintain clear, copious urine
* Do abdominal respiration as much as possible when you are walking or climbing.
*Avoid too hot shower which will speed up metabolism and aggravate oxygen, and then cause pulmonary edema.
Related Articles & Posts
Tibet Overland Routes
Some travelers prefer overland tours to Tibet for viewing as much as the amazing scenery along the road. However, the Tibet overland routes are usually very costly and not all of them are available. Right now, only Xinjing, Qinghai and Kathmandu to Lhasa overland tour are applicable. ...
Top Things to Do in Tibet
Tibet receives a considerable number of tourists every year for its fantastic sites. Below are top things to do in Tibet including the Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Mount Everest, Mount Kailash, Namtso Lake, etc. ...
Travel to Tibet from Singapore
As residents in a modern city, more and more travelers from Singapore want to experience the unique culture and nature in Tibet. Tibet attracts thousands of international travelers every year, and it’s easy to travel to Tibet from Singapore. ...
Where is Tibet?
Maps of Tibet shows the location of Tibet on the world, Asia, and China. What's more, you can clearly get the information of Tibet attractions, terrain, routes from these maps. ...
How can an Indian get into Tibet
For Indian travelers going to Mt. Kailash and Lake Manasarovar, you will be treated as pilgrims. Only Foreign Affairs Office of TAR and Pilgrim Center can arrange your tour. We also list the transportation ways for Indian travelers to Tibet. ...
Travel to Tibet Alone
If you travel to Tibet alone, what should you put into consideration? We have made a full list for solo travelers, such as how to choose your travel agency, how to get the document, how to keep cost down, as well as other useful tips. ...
Travel to Tibet From Canada
If you are Canada citizen, planning a trip to Tibet should be put into your schedule. Canada has an association with Tibet in cultures and history. Currently there're multiple ways to travel to Tibet from Canada. ...
Travel to Tibet from China
Tibet attracts many international travelers every year, traveling to Tibet from inland cities in China is a good choice. You can get to Tibet by train or by plane conveniently from China. ...
Is It Safe to Travel to Tibet
Besides breathtaking landscape and mysterious Buddhist culture, travelers wonder that is it safe to travel to Tibet? We offer seasoned travel guides and guarantee you a safe, unforgettable and rewarding travel to Tibet. ...
Best time travel to Tibet
Best time travel to Tibet depends on what you want to see and to do in Tibet. To make it clear, we list the best visiting time according to your tour destination or actitivities you want to get involved in. ...