Packing List for your Tibet Tour
- by Cherry
- Last Updated: 2019-12-05
Most travelers like to make a good preparation before they go on a Tibet journey, such as checking the average temperature of that month, altitude sickness and corresponding solutions, carefully packing list, etc. In this post, we will assist you with a complete packing list for your Tibet tour.
a. Most Important Ones
The passport with all necessary visas and Tibet travel permits.
Most hotels in Tibet have no central heating. The air-conditioners in single rooms do not work well in the cold night. In winter, from November to next March, of course, you need to bring down jackets, warm sweaters, gloves, warm pants, woolen hats. It is very cold in the morning and evening. In summer, wearing a T-shirt in day time but the Jacket is necessary at the hotel in the morning and evening.
Other essentials to pack include four or five pairs of cotton or woolen underwear, four or five pairs of woolen socks, long sleeve cotton or lightweight wool shirts and T-shirts. Women should avoid skirts or dresses.
Also, whenever you visit Tibet, if your plan includes overnight at Everest Base Camp or Namtso Lake, or a several days outdoor trek in the mountain area, to keep warm is very important. The winter clothes are a must.
It is very important to have a strong comfortable pair of boots, especially your travel covers the remote area and you have to walk for a long distance.
A large backpack, a smaller one, plus a waist bag make it perfect. The smaller one can be used for daily activities and can also be put into the big one when necessary. The waist bag is to take some small and important things with you. Please do not take any big suitcase with you, as a wise traveler knows, the outdoor backpack is the best bag for travel because you can move more freely.
e. Daily articles
Hotels in some areas are very simple, without towels, soap, etc. You need to bring your own items such as a cup, a small towel, a toothbrush, toothpaste, and slippers. Or you take some disposable items in the better hotel you stay in Lhasa. It is not convenient to wash clothes when traveling in remote places, you can buy some disposable underpants.
f. Skincare products
Wind and solar radiation are quite strong in Tibet. The skincare products are quite necessary, such as lip balms, sunblock, and skin creams，sunglasses.
Remember to bring some cash in different denominations and prepare enough cash for the days you are out of Lhasa since ATMs are few in the more remote areas.
h. Sleeping bag
When sleeping in BEC tent camp, a sleeping bag is a good way to keep your personal sanitary.
Prevent Altitude Sickness?
* To prevent the occurrence of altitude sickness, visitors should have a proper rest and avoid strenuous activities days before you go to Tibet. After getting off the plane, you should try not to carry heavy things or run and avoid outdoor activities.
* Nifedipine, Nuodikang Capsules and Suoluomabao Capsules (known as Hongjingtian Capsules in Chinese) may help some people prevent the occurrence of altitude sickness when they are taken three days before arrival to a highland. Note: Acetazolamide (Diamox) is a drug used to stimulate breathing and reduce mild symptoms of mountain sickness. This drug can cause increased urination, so when taking this medication, make sure you drink plenty of fluids and do not drink alcohol; if you don’t drink enough water, it may result in serious dehydration, which can worsen AMS.
* Insist on High Carbohydrate Diet--Carbohydrate can provide heat quickly increasing the amount of the exchange of oxygen; while too much fat and animal protein shall aggravate high altitude sickness.
* Smoking shall not only consume the oxygen in the air, but also the carbon monoxide generated by the cigarette shall be absorbed by the hemoglobin. Smoking shall obviously aggravate high altitude sickness.
* Visitors with a severe cold, a high fever, acute or chronic pulmonary diseases, severe cardiovascular diseases, women with an advanced pregnancy and children under three years of age should avoid traveling to regions with a high altitude.
* Drink plenty of water/fluids. As the air humidity at the Tibetan plateau is very low, it's easy to get dehydrated during traveling in Tibet. One to five liters a day is recommended to maintain clear, copious urine
* Do abdominal respiration as much as possible when you are walking or climbing.
* Avoid too hot shower which will speed up metabolism and aggravate oxygen, and then cause pulmonary edema.
Related Articles & Posts
Sichuan Tibet Highway - Southern and Northern Routes
Sichuan Tibet Highway is also called Chengdu Lhasa Highway. It includes the Northern and Southern routes. Most people choose the southern route as it's the most scenic part of G318. Check the route details and differences.
Road to Tibet
The roads to Tibet are usually very costly and not all of them are available. Right now, only Kathmandu to Lhasa highway, Xinjiang to Lhasa highway, and Qinghai to Lhasa highway are applicable. Sichuan to Tibet and Yunnan to Tibet overland routes are not applicable.
30 Interesting Facts About Mount Everest
Can you believe that Mount Everest is NOT the tallest mountain on the earth and Mount Everest is older than the Himalayas? What is the real height of Mount Everest? What's more, Mt Everest keeps growing. Find out more interesting facts about Mount Everest.
Travel From Kathmandu to Everest Base Camp
How to travel to Everest Base Camp from Kathmandu? If you are going to EBC in Nepal, you are recommended to fly to Lukla then trek to EBC. If you are going to EBC in Tibet, you can fly to Lhasa then drive to EBC or drive to EBC from Kathmandu directly.
Climbing Mount Kailash: Is Mount Kailash climbable?
Climbing Mount Kailash is supposed to be a dream for climbers, however, no one has ever summited Mount Kailash. Is mount Kailash unclimbable? Here're mysterious events and religious legends of Mount Kailash that might give you the answer.
A Brief Introduction to Tibet
A traveler's introduction to Tibet, including its geography, Rivers, Lakes, scenery, weather, culture, tourism, etc.
How to Visit Tibet
A visit to Tibet can be an amazing experience with proper planning. Here we list all things you need to know before traveling to Tibet, such as what documents to prepare, when to visit, how to get to Tibet, what to see, how much it costs, etc.
The Himalayas, which lie on the southern edge of the Qinghai-Tibet plateau, are located in China Tibet, Pakistan, India, Nepal, and Bhutan. 9 out of the top 10 peaks in the world are all are the Himalayas. Check Himalaya Mountains facts and details.
How to Get to Tibet?
How to get to Tibet? You can travel to Tibet by flight and train from China. You also travel to Lhasa from Kathmandu by flight or road. Your best way to go to Tibet depends on your place of departure and travel plans.
Tibet Neighbors, Borders and Ports
Tibet is located in the southwest of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, borders with India, Myanmar, Nepal, Bhutan, Kashmir, and other regions. The borderline is more than four thousand kilometers long. It is an important gateway to China's southwest border.
Email response within 0.5~24 hours.