- by Cherry
- Last Updated: 2019-12-05
Most travelers like to make a good preparation before they go on a Tibet journey, such as checking the average temperature of that month, altitude sickness and corresponding solutions, carefully packing list, etc. In this post, we will assist you with a complete packing list for your Tibet tour.
a. Most Important Ones
The passport with all necessary visas and Tibet travel permits.
Most hotels in Tibet have no central heating. The air-conditioners in single rooms do not work well in the cold night. In winter, from November to next March, of course, you need to bring down jackets, warm sweaters, gloves, warm pants, woolen hats. It is very cold in the morning and evening. In summer, wearing a T-shirt in day time but the Jacket is necessary at the hotel in the morning and evening.
Other essentials to pack include four or five pairs of cotton or woolen underwear, four or five pairs of woolen socks, long sleeve cotton or lightweight wool shirts and T-shirts. Women should avoid skirts or dresses.
Also, whenever you visit Tibet, if your plan includes overnight at Everest Base Camp or Namtso Lake, or a several days outdoor trek in the mountain area, to keep warm is very important. The winter clothes are a must.
It is very important to have a strong comfortable pair of boots, especially your travel covers the remote area and you have to walk for a long distance.
A large backpack, a smaller one, plus a waist bag make it perfect. The smaller one can be used for daily activities and can also be put into the big one when necessary. The waist bag is to take some small and important things with you. Please do not take any big suitcase with you, as a wise traveler knows, the outdoor backpack is the best bag for travel because you can move more freely.
e. Daily articles
Hotels in some areas are very simple, without towels, soap, etc. You need to bring your own items such as a cup, a small towel, a toothbrush, toothpaste, and slippers. Or you take some disposable items in the better hotel you stay in Lhasa. It is not convenient to wash clothes when traveling in remote places, you can buy some disposable underpants.
f. Skincare products
Wind and solar radiation are quite strong in Tibet. The skincare products are quite necessary, such as lip balms, sunblock, and skin creams，sunglasses.
Remember to bring some cash in different denominations and prepare enough cash for the days you are out of Lhasa since ATMs are few in the more remote areas.
h. Sleeping bag
When sleeping in BEC tent camp, a sleeping bag is a good way to keep your personal sanitary.
Prevent Altitude Sickness?
* To prevent the occurrence of altitude sickness, visitors should have a proper rest and avoid strenuous activities days before you go to Tibet. After getting off the plane, you should try not to carry heavy things or run and avoid outdoor activities.
* Nifedipine, Nuodikang Capsules and Suoluomabao Capsules (known as Hongjingtian Capsules in Chinese) may help some people prevent the occurrence of altitude sickness when they are taken three days before arrival to a highland. Note: Acetazolamide (Diamox) is a drug used to stimulate breathing and reduce mild symptoms of mountain sickness. This drug can cause increased urination, so when taking this medication, make sure you drink plenty of fluids and do not drink alcohol; if you don’t drink enough water, it may result in serious dehydration, which can worsen AMS.
* Insist on High Carbohydrate Diet--Carbohydrate can provide heat quickly increasing the amount of the exchange of oxygen; while too much fat and animal protein shall aggravate high altitude sickness.
* Smoking shall not only consume the oxygen in the air, but also the carbon monoxide generated by the cigarette shall be absorbed by the hemoglobin. Smoking shall obviously aggravate high altitude sickness.
* Visitors with a severe cold, a high fever, acute or chronic pulmonary diseases, severe cardiovascular diseases, women with an advanced pregnancy and children under three years of age should avoid traveling to regions with a high altitude.
* Drink plenty of water/fluids. As the air humidity at the Tibetan plateau is very low, it's easy to get dehydrated during traveling in Tibet. One to five liters a day is recommended to maintain clear, copious urine
* Do abdominal respiration as much as possible when you are walking or climbing.
* Avoid too hot shower which will speed up metabolism and aggravate oxygen, and then cause pulmonary edema.
Related Articles & Posts
How to Plan a Trip to Tibet - Step by Step
Tibet is a pearl on Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. A trip to Tibet is not as tough as you thought. Read this step-by-step guide from your door to Tibet!
Tibetan Food and Cuisine
Tibetan food is waiting for you in Lhasa. A mix of healthy and delicious cuisines honed and perfected through years on the plateau. Popular dishes include Tsampa, butter tea, yak meat, yogurt, etc., which are also the staple diet in Tibet.
Mount Kailash Kora Route Map
Mount Kailash kora is the most pious pilgrimage for believers. Tourists can also do trekking tours around the Kailash for the longing of Tibet, the snow mountains and lakes. Here travel tips showing the maps and trekking details.
Where is Tibet?
Maps of Tibet shows the location of Tibet on the world, Asia, and China. What's more, you can clearly get the information about Tibet attractions, transportation, Tibetan Plateau terrain, travel routes, rivers' resources from these maps.
A Quick Guide to Tibet Currency and Money
Travelers to Tibet are often confused by how to refer to Tibet money. The official name for Tibet currency is Renminbi, which is abbreviated to RMB. Here you will find detailed info about currency exchange, credit card, debit card as well as international transfers in Tibet.
Friendship Highway (also known as the China-Nepal highway) is the only international highway in Tibet up to now. After the line was opened to traffic in 1965, countless tourists travel from Lhasa to Kathmandu or vice versa.
The Himalayas, which lie on the southern edge of the Qinghai-Tibet plateau, are located in China Tibet, Pakistan, India, Nepal, and Bhutan. 9 out of the top 10 peaks in the world are all are the Himalayas. Check Himalaya Mountains facts and details.
Tibet, the full name is Tibet Autonomous Region, also been called the roof of the world and the third pole. It occupies the areas of 1.22 million sq km, with an average altitude of above 4000 meters. You will also see the effects of Tibetan Buddhism in Tibet's culture and history.
Weather and Climate of Everest Base Camp For The Whole Year
Everest Base Camp has a typical plateau and mountain climate, so the weather is complex and changeable, and the natural environment is harsh. Please check the detailed weather explanation, as well as the tips to wear clothes in different seasons.
Travel to Tibet from China
Tibet attracts many international travelers every year, traveling to Tibet from inland cities in China is a good choice. You can get to Tibet by train or by plane conveniently from China.