- by Cherry
- Last Updated: 2019-12-05
Most travelers like to make a good preparation before they go on a Tibet journey, such as checking the average temperature of that month, altitude sickness and corresponding solutions, carefully packing list, etc. In this post, we will assist you with a complete packing list for your Tibet tour.
a. Most Important Ones
The passport with all necessary visas and Tibet travel permits.
Most hotels in Tibet have no central heating. The air-conditioners in single rooms do not work well in the cold night. In winter, from November to next March, of course, you need to bring down jackets, warm sweaters, gloves, warm pants, woolen hats. It is very cold in the morning and evening. In summer, wearing a T-shirt in day time but the Jacket is necessary at the hotel in the morning and evening.
Other essentials to pack include four or five pairs of cotton or woolen underwear, four or five pairs of woolen socks, long sleeve cotton or lightweight wool shirts and T-shirts. Women should avoid skirts or dresses.
Also, whenever you visit Tibet, if your plan includes overnight at Everest Base Camp or Namtso Lake, or a several days outdoor trek in the mountain area, to keep warm is very important. The winter clothes are a must.
It is very important to have a strong comfortable pair of boots, especially your travel covers the remote area and you have to walk for a long distance.
A large backpack, a smaller one, plus a waist bag make it perfect. The smaller one can be used for daily activities and can also be put into the big one when necessary. The waist bag is to take some small and important things with you. Please do not take any big suitcase with you, as a wise traveler knows, the outdoor backpack is the best bag for travel because you can move more freely.
e. Daily articles
Hotels in some areas are very simple, without towels, soap, etc. You need to bring your own items such as a cup, a small towel, a toothbrush, toothpaste, and slippers. Or you take some disposable items in the better hotel you stay in Lhasa. It is not convenient to wash clothes when traveling in remote places, you can buy some disposable underpants.
f. Skincare products
Wind and solar radiation are quite strong in Tibet. The skincare products are quite necessary, such as lip balms, sunblock, and skin creams，sunglasses.
Remember to bring some cash in different denominations and prepare enough cash for the days you are out of Lhasa since ATMs are few in the more remote areas.
h. Sleeping bag
When sleeping in BEC tent camp, a sleeping bag is a good way to keep your personal sanitary.
Prevent Altitude Sickness?
* To prevent the occurrence of altitude sickness, visitors should have a proper rest and avoid strenuous activities days before you go to Tibet. After getting off the plane, you should try not to carry heavy things or run and avoid outdoor activities.
* Nifedipine, Nuodikang Capsules and Suoluomabao Capsules (known as Hongjingtian Capsules in Chinese) may help some people prevent the occurrence of altitude sickness when they are taken three days before arrival to a highland. Note: Acetazolamide (Diamox) is a drug used to stimulate breathing and reduce mild symptoms of mountain sickness. This drug can cause increased urination, so when taking this medication, make sure you drink plenty of fluids and do not drink alcohol; if you don’t drink enough water, it may result in serious dehydration, which can worsen AMS.
* Insist on High Carbohydrate Diet--Carbohydrate can provide heat quickly increasing the amount of the exchange of oxygen; while too much fat and animal protein shall aggravate high altitude sickness.
* Smoking shall not only consume the oxygen in the air, but also the carbon monoxide generated by the cigarette shall be absorbed by the hemoglobin. Smoking shall obviously aggravate high altitude sickness.
* Visitors with a severe cold, a high fever, acute or chronic pulmonary diseases, severe cardiovascular diseases, women with an advanced pregnancy and children under three years of age should avoid traveling to regions with a high altitude.
* Drink plenty of water/fluids. As the air humidity at the Tibetan plateau is very low, it's easy to get dehydrated during traveling in Tibet. One to five liters a day is recommended to maintain clear, copious urine
* Do abdominal respiration as much as possible when you are walking or climbing.
* Avoid too hot shower which will speed up metabolism and aggravate oxygen, and then cause pulmonary edema.
Related Articles & Posts
Where is Tibet?
Maps of Tibet shows the location of Tibet on the world, Asia, and China. What's more, you can clearly get the information about Tibet attractions, Tibetan Plateau terrain, travel routes from these maps. ...
Tibet's landscape is so diverse and impressive that it's worth a visit. You will see magnificent mountains, beautiful plateau lakes, mysterious monasteries, wild western barren, etc. All these present the utmost beautiful scenery in Tibet. ...
Tibetan Plateau is the world's highest plateau, also known as the "roof of the world" due to its high altitude. See the elevation list of Lhasa, Shigatse, Ngari, Lake Namtso, Everest Base Camp, and various attractions. ...
Tibet has many places with beautiful scenery that shows the magic of nature with its magnificent landscape. Monasteries are also an important part of Tibet scenery as the natural scenery here has already merged with temples, believers, prayer flags, and Tibetans. ...
Climbing Mount Everest, the highest peak in the world is the aspirations for many adventures. Here we will show you the details about the Everest Expedition including the highlights, challenges, Sherpa guide, cost and permits. ...
How to Plan a Trip to Tibet - Step by Step
Tibet is a pearl on Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. A trip to Tibet is not as tough as you thought. Read this step-by-step guide from your door to Tibet! ...
Etiquette and Taboos When Traveling to Tibet
You may need to know some etiquette and taboos of Tibet customs and traditions when you visit a Tibet family, famous monasteries and dine, to ensure you do not offend anyone by mistake during your trip. ...
The Cost of Travelling to Tibet
Many travelers are curious about the cost of traveling to Tibet. It should be noted that Tibet is not considered as a budget-friendly destination. In order to get a good price for traveling to Tibet, there're some factors to put into considerations. ...
Most Famous Highest Mountains of Tibet
The highest mountain in Tibet is Mt. Everest - the main peak of the Himalayas. As the roof of the world, 26 of the 100 highest mountains in the world clustered in Tibet. We have specially listed the highest and famous mountains with photos and travel tips. ...
Tibet Climate: Unique Tibet Plateau Climate
Tibet's climate is typical of a high-altitude plateau climate. The major features of the weather are cold and dry. Here're the average temperature and precipitation of each tourist destination, with our advice about the best time to visit. ...