Lhasa & Ganden Biking Tour
- 6 Days
- Tour Type:
- Private Tour
|Day||Route||Attractions & Activities|
|1||Arrival in Lhasa (3650m)||Pick up and transfer to the hotel.|
|2||Lhasa sightseeing||Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street|
|3||Lhasa sightseeing||Drepung Monastery, Sera monastery|
|4||Bike Lhasa - Ganden (50 Km)||Ganden Monastery|
|5||Bike Ganden - Lhasa||Enjoy your leisure time in Lhasa|
|6||Departure from Lhasa||Send off to the airport/railway station|
This is the first day in Tibet. Your guide will greet you at Lhasa Gonggar Airport/Railway Station and transfer you to your hotel. It usually takes around 1.5 hours to drive from Lhasa Airport to downtown Lhasa and takes about 20mins from Lhasa Railway Station. Tourists could have a look at the Yarlung Tsangpo River, the largest and longest river in Tibet on their way to the hotel. After check-in, you can have a good rest first. And if you feel like going out, you can wander around the city. But just remember that don't take too much stuff, try to go with a light pack. Meanwhile, drink some more water, do not move strenuously. It’s really useful to get acclimatized to the high altitude.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Today your Lhasa tour starts with the world heritage Potala Palace. It’s situated on the Red Hill of central Lhasa. Potala Palace is the highest ancient palace in the world, reaching 3,767.19m at the topmost point. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
In the afternoon, take an easy visit to Jokhang Temple in the center of the Lhasa old town. Jokhang temple is the most sacred temple all over Tibet and it is always bustling with earnest local pilgrims. After you visit the temple, you'll have time to walk around the Barkhor Street, which is one of the most devotional circuits as well as the crowded central market of Lhasa since the early days. As a symbol of Lhasa, it is also a must-see place for visitors.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Our guide and driver will pick you up at the hotel in the early morning and then drive to visit the Drepung Monastery, which is located at the foot of the Mountain Gambo Utse, 5 kilometers (3.1 miles) from the western suburb of Lhasa, the Drepung Monastery is known as the most important monastery of Gelugpa in Tibetan Buddhism. It was founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples.
After lunch, you are going to visit the Sera Monastery, which is renowned as the most beautiful Tibetan Monastery. Sera Monastery is one of three famous monasteries in the city along with the Drepung Monastery and the Ganden Monastery. To witness the debate sessions of Sera Monastery is the thing you cannot miss. The topic of debate involves all aspects of Tibetan Buddhism. As a part of their study, lamas must participate in debates to further their comprehension and proceed to more advanced levels of study. The debate usually is held at around 3 pm to 5 pm in the afternoon except for Sunday.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Ride from Lhasa city to Ganden Monastery, which is abt 4hrs. About 50km east of Lhasa, Ganden is the one out-of-Lhasa sight to choose if your time is limited. A kora around the 4500m-high Kyi-chu Valley takes 1.5hrs to 2hrs and you would probably meet more pilgrims here than anywhere else.
- Ganden Monastery
Biking back to Lhasa. To arrive at Lhasa city in the early afternoon. No other tour arrangement for the rest of day. You are free to wander around Lhasa on your own, maybe some last-minute souvenir shopping at Barkhor Street. Or Potala Square in the evening to see Potala Palace all lighting up.
Your tour ends today. Our guide and driver will collect you from your hotel to transfer to Lhasa Airport/Railway Station for your next destination.
- Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit (TTB) and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance tickets fee for tourist attractions listed in the itinerary;
- Experienced local English-speaking tour guide;
- Travel-licensed vehicle according to group size & season as itinerary needed including gas and parking fee;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel, or guesthouse. Please tell us your preference;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Pick-up & Drop-off service from Airport/railway station;
- Travel Agency Liability insurance;
- Government tax;
- Express delivery fee of Permit (eg. SF. Express);
- Food & lodgings for guide & driver;
- Oxygen tank for emergency use;
- Free use of sleeping bag;
- Two bottles of mineral water per person per day.
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese Visa/China Group Visa; (Note: we could help you by providing the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies for your Chinese Visa or the invitation letter for your China Group Visa)
- Domestic flight/train to and out of Lhasa; (We can help you book the domestic flight/train ticket at the BEST price. Please contact us for details.)
- Meals are not included but we will recommend some good ones for you according to your requirements. Usually, it takes 3-10 USD per person for each meal.
- While Gratuities for guide and driver is NOT mandatory, it is expected. Based on their service, you can tip them on the last day of the tour. Each of you is suggested to tip them 5-10 USD/day in total;
- All the commission and tax charged by PayPal, Bank, and government when making payment. (e.g. PayPal --- 4.2%. Wire transfer --- 2%);
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks, optional tour activities, etc.
- Anything not mentioned in the Inclusions.
My TIBET experience with Great Tibet Tour was very brilliant. It was the 2nd-time visit to TIBET but Shigatse and Gyantse. The hotel you chose me at Shigatse had very Lovely Tibetan decoration. and Guides ( both 2 guys) were very kind and gentle. So I could relax. ....Read more testimonials...