Chengdu & Tibet Train Tour
- 12 Days
- Tour Type:
- Private Tour
The modern, surprisingly laid-back city of Chengdu is the largest and most important in China’s southwest. You will visit its major attractions of Chengdu and nearby city Leshan such as Giant Panda Breeding Research Base, Leshan Giant Buddha, Mt. Emei. Take the world’s highest railway to Lhasa. Tibet, the roof of the world, the highest of azure skies; serene nomads atop their horse; city-state temples; rivers of red-clad monks and flapping prayer flags…
Daily ItineraryCollapse Expand
Upon arrival in Chengdu airport/railway station, you will find your guide/driver holding your name sign at the exit. Then they will transfer you to your hotel in downtown Chengdu. The rest of the day is your free time.
Stay overnight in Chengdu
We’ll pick you up at your hotel in Chengdu (inside 2nd Ring Road) at about 7:00 am and then drive to visit the Panda Research Base in the northern suburb of Chengdu in this morning. The Chengdu Panda Base was founded in 1987. It started with 6 giant pandas that were rescued from the wild. Through 2007, it has had 110 panda births, and its panda population has grown to 62. It is a huge, beautifully landscaped park.
After lunch (about 13:00 pm), drive to Leshan city to see the famous Giant Buddha which is a statue of Maitreya (a Bodhisattva usually represented as a very stout monk with a broad smile on his face and with his naked breast and paunch exposed to view) in sitting posture. It is 71 meters (about 233 feet) high and has 8.3-meter-long (about 27 feet) fingers. The 9-meter-wide (about 30 feet) instep is big enough for one hundred people to sit on and the 24-meter-wide (about 79 feet) shoulder is large enough to be a basketball playground. (Optional: ferry boat ride at Leshan Giant Buddha, about USD 10/person).
We’ll continue to go to the foot of Mt. Emei around 18:00 pm.
Today, you will spend the whole day exploring Mount Emei. In the early morning at 7:00 am, take the shuttle bus in the Scenic Spot to Leidongpin, then hike to Jieyin Palace to take the cable car up to Golden Summit which is the mountain's main peak at 3077 meters above sea level, seems to almost touching the sky. At Golden Summit, the highest peak of the mountain, you will be amazed by the awe-inspiring view of the Huazhang Temple and enjoy the magnificent view of the clouds, mountains, and forests. Then take the sightseeing bus down to Wannian Temple, you’ll experience the beautiful scenery by walking from Wannian Temple, Qingyin Pavilion and Moneky Zone to WuxianGang.
About 17:00 pm, go down the mountain by vehicle and then drive to Emei Railway Station to take the bullet train back to Chengdu within only 1.5 hours. End of service. After arrival in Chengdu Railway Station, you need to go back to the hotel by yourself.
Go to Chengdu North Railway Station on your own. Exchange e-Ticket to the actual paper ticket at the ticket booth by showing them the e-Ticket, the copy of your Tibet Travel Permit, as well as your original passport. Z322 departs from Chengdu at 21:37, which arrives in Lhasa at 09:55 on the third day, total 36hrs 18mins. Please get to the train station 1.5hrs before the departure time.
Our local Tibetan guide will wait for you at Lhasa railway station by holding your name sign. You will be greeted with a warm Tashi Delek (a kind of blessing), and be presented with a white Hada (traditional Tibetan ceremonial by giving you a white scarf). Then transfer to the hotel in Lhasa city. On your first arrival day in Lhasa (3650m), it's essential to have a good rest to avoid Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS, also known as altitude sickness). Remember to drink lots of water, eat lighter and have high carbohydrate food which will be helpful to you to adapt to the high altitude better.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
In the morning our guide will meet you at the hotel and first take you to visit the famous Potala Palace, the cardinal landmark of Tibet and the masterpiece of Tibetan architecture. It was first built by the 33rd King - Songtsen Gangpo in the 7th century and rebuilt later by the 5th Dalai Lama in the 17th century. Now it's a museum and world heritage site.
In the afternoon, we will go to visit Jokhang Temple in the center of the Lhasa old town. Jokhang Temple is one of the most sacred temples all over Tibet and it is always bustling with earnest local pilgrims since the early days. After that, you will take a walk around the Barkhor Street - one of the most devotional circuit as well as a crowded central market of Lhasa. Barkhor Street is a very ancient round street surrounding the Jokhang Temple and the locals are always proud of it. As a symbol of Lhasa, it‘s also a must-see place for visitors.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
In the morning, we will go to visit Norbulingka. Norbulingka park is considered the premier park of all such horticultural parks in similar ethnic settings in Tibet. During the summer and autumn months, the parks in Tibet including the Norbulingka, become hubs of entertainment with dancing, singing, music, and festivities. The park is where the annual Sho Dun or 'Yoghurt Festival' is held.
In the afternoon, you are heading to Drepung Monastery, which means Monastery of Rice Heap in the Tibetan language. The entire monastery is large in scale and the white buildings cluster and covers the hillsides. They look like huge rice heaps in the distance, so it is called Drepung. Drepung monastery is the largest Tibetan Buddhist monastery, also the highest-ranking monastery in the Gelug Sect.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
From Lhasa to Gyantse is about 264km, en route you will pass by Gambala Mountain Pass (4990m), where's the best place to overlook the Yamdroktso lake. Then head to Shigatse via the fertile Nyangchu Valley, a wide agricultural plain where colorfully decorated yaks and horses are used by Tibetan farmers to cultivate this land.
Stay overnight in Shigatse
In Shigatse, we will visit the Tashilunpo Monastery - the home of Panchen Lama. It was founded by the 1st Dalai Lama in 1447 and is a historic and culturally important monastery in Shigatse. It's located in the central hill of the city, the full name in Tibetan of the monastery means "all fortune and happiness gathered here" or "heap of glory".
In the afternoon, we will drive back to Lhasa from Shigatse along the Friendship Highway, via the northern route to Lhasa. It is the most direct route and usually takes around five hours to reach the capital. We will make several stops on the way in order to enjoy the views of the Yarlung Tsangpo River Valley.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
- Tashilhunpo Monastery
- Yarlung Tsangpo Valley
Your tour guide and driver will transfer you to Lhasa Gonggar Airport for the flight to Chengdu, which usually takes about 2.5hrs. Upon your arrival at Chengdu Shuangliu Airport, you will be greeted by your tour guide and driver then transferred to your hotel in downtown Chengdu. The rest of the day is your free time.
Pick up from your hotel in Chengdu according to your flight schedule, then transfer to Chengdu Airport for your next destination.
- Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit (TTB) and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance tickets fee for tourist attractions listed in the itinerary;
- Experienced local English-speaking tour guide;
- Travel-licensed vehicle according to group size & season as itinerary needed including gas and parking fee;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel, or guesthouse. Please tell us your preference;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Pick-up & Drop-off service from Airport/railway station;
- Travel Agency Liability insurance;
- Government tax;
- Express delivery fee of Permit (eg. SF. Express);
- Food & lodgings for guide & driver;
- Oxygen tank for emergency use;
- Free use of sleeping bag;
- Two bottles of mineral water per person per day.
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese Visa/China Group Visa; (Note: we could help you by providing the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies for your Chinese Visa or the invitation letter for your China Group Visa)
- Domestic flight/train to and out of Lhasa; (We can help you book the domestic flight/train ticket at the BEST price. Please contact us for details.)
- Meals are not included but we will recommend some good ones for you according to your requirements. Usually, it takes 3-10 USD per person for each meal.
- While Gratuities for guide and driver is NOT mandatory, it is expected. Based on their service, you can tip them on the last day of the tour. Each of you is suggested to tip them 5-10 USD/day in total;
- All the commission and tax charged by PayPal, Bank, and government when making payment. (e.g. PayPal --- 4.2%. Wire transfer --- 2%);
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks, optional tour activities, etc.
- Anything not mentioned in the Inclusions.
My TIBET experience with Great Tibet Tour was very brilliant. It was the 2nd-time visit to TIBET but Shigatse and Gyantse. The hotel you chose me at Shigatse had very Lovely Tibetan decoration. and Guides ( both 2 guys) were very kind and gentle. So I could relax. ....Read more testimonials...