Shoton Festival Tour
- 4 Days
- From USD970
- Tour Type:
- Private Tour
|Day||Route||Attractions & Activities|
|1||Arrival in Lhasa (3650m)||Pick up and transfer to the hotel.|
|2||Lhasa Sightseeing||Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street|
|3||Lhasa Sightseeing||Drepung Monastery, Norbulingka, Sera Monastery|
|4||Lhasa departure||Send off to the airport/train station|
When you arrive in Lhasa, our staff will pick you up at Lhasa Airport/ Railway Station and transfer you to the hotel. From the airport, it takes about 1.5 hours. From the train station, it only takes 20 minutes. Afterward, it's better to relax and take it easy on the first day to get acclimatized to high altitude and alleviate the jet lag. You might go to the local market and wander around the city on your own but try not to overtax yourself.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Today, you will explore the Potala Palace, which is the winter palace of the Dalai Lama. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and the meditation cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet. It's best to explore the inside of the Potala in the morning for 2-3 hours. Afterward, you may walk the pilgrimage route around the Potala Palace.
In the afternoon, you will head to the Jokhang Temple, which is well known as the center of the Tibetan Buddhism, features Buddhist prayer wheels, reclining deer, golden sutra streamers, etc. Also, you can see a great many of pilgrims praying in front of the temple and do kora with local pilgrims. After visiting the Jokhang Temple, you will stroll in the old alleys of Barkhor Street, where you can drink the sweet tea, chat with locals and even bargain with the street vendors to understand the real-life in Lhasa.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Today's highlight is the annual Shoton Festival lasting from August 22 of Tibetan calendar. First, you will watch Qamba Buddha Thangka unfolding at the Drepung Monastery by about 100 lamas. At that moment, horns resound and scripture chanting starts. Disciples offer Khada to the Thangka and touch it by forehead to show their devotion. Within two hours, the Thangka will be rolled up again and carried back. We’ll not see it until the next year. Later, you will head to Norbulingka to watch the various superb Tibetan Opera, performed from about 11:00 am.
After having lunch and a short rest, you'll visit the Sera Monastery, which is another one of the 'Great Three' Gelug monasteries. It is famous for the Buddhism activities of "Monks Debate" held at around 3 to 5 PM in the afternoon. Also, inside the monastery, the three sand Mandalas and colorful Rock Painting of Buddha are hot attractions.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Tour Price and Service
From US$970 p/p
Based on 3-star hotels for 2 people. Price varies according to travel season, number of people and level of accommodation.
- Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit (TTB) and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance tickets fee for tourist attractions listed in the itinerary;
- Experienced local English-speaking tour guide;
- Travel-licensed vehicle according to group size & season as itinerary needed including gas and parking fee;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel, or guesthouse. Please tell us your preference;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Pick-up & Drop-off service from Airport/railway station;
- Travel Agency Liability insurance;
- Government tax;
- Express delivery fee of Permit (eg. SF. Express);
- Food & lodgings for guide & driver;
- Oxygen tank for emergency use;
- Sleeping bags;
- Two bottles of mineral water per person per day.
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese Visa/China Group Visa; (Note: we could help you by providing the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies for your Chinese Visa or the invitation letter for your China Group Visa)
- Domestic flight/train to and out of Lhasa; (We can help you book the domestic flight/train ticket at the BEST price. Please contact us for details.)
- Meals are not included but we will recommend some good ones for you according to your requirements. Usually, it takes 3-10 USD per person for each meal.
- While the gratuity for guide and driver is NOT mandatory, it is expected. Based on their service, you can tip them on the last day of the tour. Each of you is suggested to tip them 5-10 USD/day in total;
- All the commission and tax charged by PayPal, Bank, and government when making payment. (e.g. PayPal --- 4.2%. Wire transfer --- 2%);
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks, optional tour activities, etc.
- Anything not mentioned in the Inclusions.
I just returned to Beijing yesterday and I wanted to let you know that I had a wonderful trip to Tibet. Your company arranged everything very well, and Lobsang was an excellent tour guide, I was deeply impressed by how hard-working and dedicated he was, especially when he helped arrange my nucleic a ....Read more testimonials...