Kathmandu Nepal Mt Everest Lhasa Overland Tour
- 8 Days
- Tour Type:
- Private Tour
|Day||Route||Attractions & Activities|
|1||Kathmandu to Gyirong, 160km, Approx.10hrs||Pick up from hotel and drive|
|2||Gyirong-Tingri||Milarepa’s Meditation Cave|
|3||Tingri - Rongbuk - EBC - Tingri||Rongbuk Monastery, Everest Base Camp|
|4||Tingri - Shigatse||Tashilhunpo Monastery|
|5||Shigatse - Gyantse - Lhasa||Pelkor Chode Monastery, Karola Glacier, Yamdroktso Lake|
|6||Lhasa City||Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street|
|7||Lhasa Suburb||Drepung Monastery, Sera Monastery|
|8||Departure from Lhasa||Send off to the airport/railway station|
After breakfast, your driver will pick you from your hotel(altitude: 1300m) and drive to Gyirong port(altitude: 2000m). Although the distance is only 160km, it takes about 10 hours to Gyirong border due to the muddy road condition. Alternatively, you can choose to take a helicopter to Gyriong from Kathmandu, which only takes 25 mins but the price would be much higher.
After arriving at Gyirong port and getting through the custom, you will meet your Tibetan guide and driver. They will take you to Gyirong town（altitude: 2000m) for acclimatization.
- Milarepa’s Meditation Cave
Abt 3km from the Friendship Hwy, you get to the village of Chay. From Chay, it’s a winding drive up to Pang-la (5050m). The view here are stupendous on a clear day, and feature of a huge sweep of the Himalay a range, including Makalu, Lhotse, Everest, Gyachung and Cho Oyu. The road then descends past a couple of photogenic villages and runs done in to the fertile Dzaka Valley and Tashi Dzom village. The dirt road then runs up the wide valley, to Pagsum village. The next main village is Cho Dzom and from here the road turns south towards Rongphu. The first view of Everest appear half an hour before you arrive Rongphu. After sightseeing Rongphu and Everest, return back to Tingri for the night.
Drive from Tingri to Shigatse today via G318, which takes about 7hrs. Please feel free to ask your driver to stop at any time if you want to take a photo of the fantastic view along the way.
- Tashilhunpo Monastery
Drive Shigatse to Lhasa via Gyantse by Southern Friendship Hwy. You will pass by the fertile Nyangchu Valley, a wide agricultural plain where colourfully decorated yaks and horses are used by Tibetan farmers to till the land, and Khamba-la Pass (4794m).
In the morning our guide will meet you at the hotel and first take you to visit the famous Potala Palace, the cardinal landmark of Tibet and the masterpiece of Tibetan architecture. It was first built by the 33rd King - Songtsen Gangpo in the 7th century and rebuilt later by the 5th Dalai Lama in the 17th century. Now it's a museum and world heritage site.
In the afternoon, we will go to visit Jokhang Temple in the center of the Lhasa old town. Jokhang Temple is one of the most sacred temples all over Tibet and it is always bustling with earnest local pilgrims since the early days. After that, you will take a walk around the Barkhor Street - one of the most devotional circuit as well as a crowded central market of Lhasa. Barkhor Street is a very ancient round street surrounding the Jokhang Temple and the locals are always proud of it. As a symbol of Lhasa, it‘s also a must-see place for visitors.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
In the morning, we will go to visit Norbulingka. Norbulingka park is considered the premier park of all such horticultural parks in similar ethnic settings in Tibet. During the summer and autumn months, the parks in Tibet including the Norbulingka, become hubs of entertainment with dancing, singing, music, and festivities. The park is where the annual Sho Dun or 'Yoghurt Festival' is held.
In the afternoon, you are heading to Drepung Monastery, which means Monastery of Rice Heap in the Tibetan language. The entire monastery is large in scale and the white buildings cluster and covers the hillsides. They look like huge rice heaps in the distance, so it is called Drepung. Drepung monastery is the largest Tibetan Buddhist monastery, also the highest-ranking monastery in the Gelug Sect.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Your tour ends today. Our guide and driver will collect you from your hotel to transfer to Lhasa Airport/Railway Station for your next destination.
- Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit (TTB) and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance tickets fee for tourist attractions listed in the itinerary;
- Experienced local English-speaking tour guide;
- Travel-licensed vehicle according to group size & season as itinerary needed including gas and parking fee;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel, or guesthouse. Please tell us your preference;
- All meals listed in the above itinerary;
- Pick-up & Drop-off service from Airport/railway station;
- Travel Agency Liability insurance;
- Government tax;
- Express delivery fee of Permit (eg. SF. Express);
- Food & lodgings for guide & driver;
- Oxygen tank for emergency use;
- Free use of sleeping bag;
- Two bottles of mineral water per person per day.
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese Visa/China Group Visa; (Note: we could help you by providing the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies for your Chinese Visa or the invitation letter for your China Group Visa)
- Domestic flight/train to and out of Lhasa; (We can help you book the domestic flight/train ticket at the BEST price. Please contact us for details.)
- Meals are not included but we will recommend some good ones for you according to your requirements. Usually, it takes 3-10 USD per person for each meal.
- While Gratuities for guide and driver is NOT mandatory, it is expected. Based on their service, you can tip them on the last day of the tour. Each of you is suggested to tip them 5-10 USD/day in total;
- All the commission and tax charged by PayPal, Bank, and government when making payment. (e.g. PayPal --- 4.2%. Wire transfer --- 2%);
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks, optional tour activities, etc.
- Anything not mentioned in the Inclusions.
Thank you for your mail. sorry for the late reply, I was a little bit sick after the trip LOL, Thank you for helping me organizing the trip, you were very helpful, fast respond, communicative, and informative During the trip, my guide Tenzin and Namka, taking care of all of us- ensuring that ....Read more testimonials...