Essential Shanghai Tibet Train Tour
- 8 Days
- Shanghai - Lhasa
- Tour Type:
- Private Tour
|Day||Route||Attractions & Activities|
|1||Arrive in Shanghai||Transfer to Hotel|
|2||Visiting Suzhou and Tongli Water Town||Tongli Water Town, Humble Administrator Garden|
|3||Shanghai sightseeing and departure from Shanghai||Yu Garden, Jade Buddha Temple and departure from Shanghai|
|4||Scenery View of Tibet Railway||On the train|
|5||Arrival in Lhasa (3650m)||Pick up and transfer to the hotel|
|6||Lhasa Sightseeing||Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street|
|7||Lhasa Sightseeing||Drak Yerpa, Sera Monastery|
|8||Lhasa departure||Send off to the airport/railway station|
When you arrive at the airport in Shanghai, your tour guide and driver will greet you by holding your name sign at the exit, then drive you to the hotel. The rest of the day is yours to recover from the jet lag.
Stay overnight in Shanghai.
Today, you are going to Tongli Water Town. We will set out from Shanghai to Tongli Town in the early morning, which takes about 1.5hrs. We will visit the Tuisi Garden first. Although the scale of Tuisi Garden is not large, it is extremely exquisite with an elegant main hall, winding corridors, chic gardens, and poetic architecture. Then Take a Wu Peng boat to glide in the river and cross ancient bridges. The ancient town seen in that way will have a different perspective and make the trip easy.
In the afternoon, you are driving 1hr to Suzhou to visit Humble Administrator Garden, also known as Zhuozheng Garden, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Built in the Ming dynasty, the Humble Administrator Garden is the largest and most renowned classical landscape garden in Suzhou which contains lots of pools, meandering rock paths, little hills, old trees, and flowers. Such a beautiful place can make you feel away from the busy world. Taking a rickshaw ride in Suzhou is regarded as the best activity for tourists, Therefore, you can take a half-hour rickshaw ride in Suzhou. Finally, you will drive back to Shanghai.
Stay overnight in Shanghai
Your guide and driver will wait for you in the hotel lobby in the morning. After having breakfast, you will start the tour in Shanghai. First of all, you will visit the Yu Garden -- It is a typical private garden in China with nearly 500 years of history, located in Shanghai old town. Then you will continue to the Bund, which is a Chinese historical and cultural block, also one of the landmarks of Shanghai. Most of the buildings here were erected before 1937. It used to be a British concession. Now it is called an exhibition of international architecture. At noon, you will have lunch at the local restaurant.
In the afternoon, you can wander around Nanjing Road, a must-see metropolitan destination where attracts thousands of fashion-seeking shoppers from all over the world. Finally, you will seeJade Buddha Temple, of which the highlights are two precious jade statues of Sakyamuni.
In the evening, you will go to the Shanghai Railway Station to take the overnight train to Lhasa. Train Z164 starts at about 20:10 from Shanghai and arrives in Lhasa at 19:30 on the third day, totally about 47 hours and 20 minutes.
Stay overnight in the train
It's quite a long journey. You will move westwards and see the majestic mountains, the barren land, and the Yellow River. In the evening, you will arrive in Xining - the start point of the Qinghai-Tibet railway. You will see massive deserts, the immense grasslands, vast valleys, snow-capped Mountains, picturesque lakes, and flocks of yaks and sheep.
Stay overnight in the train
Our staff will greet you at Lhasa Railway to transfer you to the hotel. From Lhasa Railway Station, it usually takes abt 20mins. After transferred to the hotel, you will be free for the rest of the day to wander around the city on your own but try not to overtax yourself. The first day's well-rest is crucial to acclimatize the high altitude. Remember to drink lots of water and eat light. Not to have a shower if you can help it.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
After resting one night, today you will recover sufficiently to launch your Lhasa city tour, with close contact with Lhasa, which is the political, economic, cultural, communication and tourism center of Tibet with a history of over 1300 years.
At first, you will go to the Potala Palace, which is the symbolic place of Lhasa and also the winter palace of the Dalai Lama. It was built by the 33rd great king of Tibet - Songtsen Gangpo in the 7th century. The gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and the meditation Cave of the 33rd great king are the most worth seeing in Potala Palace.
After lunch, you are going to Jokhang Temple, which was founded at the same time and by the same king as Potala Palace. From the outside, you can see many pilgrims prostrating in front of the temple. The most precious treasure of this temple is the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of 12.
Barkhor street is the next destination that women love a lot. Because it’s a famous busy walking street where they can go shopping. There are many distinctive shops and stalls that sell different Tibetan stuff, like handicrafts, Thangka, and so on. Except for shopping, tourists can also join the Kora with pilgrims and locals, to explore Tibetan religious culture more deeply.
You can go to visit the Tibetan handicraft art or Tibetan Traditional Medicine center if time is enough. You can also watch the Tibetan Culture Show in the evening for USD60 per person at your own expense.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
In the morning, you are heading to Drak Yerpa, the most famous meditation retreat near Lhasa. It's a monastery embedded in the cliff wall. Drak Yerpa is described as the "life tree" or spiritual axis of Lhasa. The site had strong spiritual power, having been visited by almost all great Tibetan masters. You can feel the power of the meditation caves here.
In the afternoon, you will pay a visit to Sera Monastery, which is one of the "great three" Gelug monasteries of Tibet. Monks debate from 3 pm to 5 pm. If the debate is not your type, you can also enjoy the three sand Mandalas and colorful Rock paintings of Buddha. The sight here is splendid because you can see wild roses around. That's why people also call it "the court of wild rose."
Stay overnight in Lhasa
- Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance tickets fee for tourist attractions listed in the itinerary;
- Experienced local English-speaking tour guide;
- Travel-licensed vehicle according to group size & season as itinerary needed including gas and parking fee;
- All lodging listed in the itinerary; it’s your decision about the accommodation class: luxury 5-star international hotel, comfortable 4-star hotel, economic 3-star hotel, or guesthouse. Please tell us your preference;
- Breakfasts provided by hotels;
- Pick-up & Drop-off service from Airport/railway station;
- Travel Agency Liability insurance;
- Government tax;
- Express delivery fee of Permit (eg. SF. Express);
- Food & lodgings for guide & driver;
- Oxygen tank for emergency use;
- Two bottles of mineral water per person per day.
- International flight to and out of China;
- Chinese Visa/China Group Visa; (Note: we could help you by providing the hotel or domestic flight reservation copies for your Chinese Visa or the invitation letter for your China Group Visa)
- Domestic flight/train to and out of Lhasa; (We can help you book the domestic flight/train ticket at the BEST price. Please contact us for details.)
- Meals are not included but we will recommend some good ones for you according to your requirements. Usually, it takes 3-10 USD per person for each meal.
- While the gratuity for guide and driver is NOT mandatory, it is expected. Based on their service, you can tip them on the last day of the tour. Each of you is suggested to tip them 5-10 USD/day in total;
- All the commission and tax charged by PayPal, Bank, and government when making payment. (e.g. PayPal --- 4.2%. Wire transfer --- 2%);
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks, optional tour activities, etc.
- Anything not mentioned in the Inclusions.
I just returned to Beijing yesterday and I wanted to let you know that I had a wonderful trip to Tibet. Your company arranged everything very well, and Lobsang was an excellent tour guide, I was deeply impressed by how hard-working and dedicated he was, especially when he helped arrange my nucleic a ....Read more testimonials...
Typically Asked Questions from Our Clients
Asked by Barb***
We will fly to Shanghai to visit with friends. Then we would like to take the train to Lhasa where we also have friends to visit and plan to stay with them for part of the time. It would be nice to have 2 days to tour the nearby attractions before we fly back to Shanghai.
According to your request, how about having our 6 days Shanghai Lhasa train private tour?
What do you think of this tour? I will send you the quotation after you confirm the arrangement. Before that, please let me know more about your tour plan.
1. When will you do this tour? Different month, the price is different as well.
2. What kind of accommodation would you like to get? The luxury(5-star), the comfortable (4-star), or the economy class (3-star) hotel?